When a Craving Strikes {Chocolate Chip Cookies}

Tuesday, October 14, 2014




In case you don't follow me on Instagram, last week I had a serious craving for Chocolate Chip Cookies.  A nearly 24-hour craving.  And, I finally caved at 10pm on a Tuesday night.  When I realized that I was without pecans my go-to recipe was out.  I quickly popped over to Joy the Baker and searched her CCC archives.  All of which were impressive but the Dark Chocolate, Pistachio & Smoked Sea Salt really stood out to me.  Not only because it called for sea salt, but, because it uses less flour than most recipes.  Something I am always drawn to.  Since I was fresh out of pistachios and my sea salt wasn't smoked  --Portlander FAIL-- I decided to play with the recipe.  Why didn't I just save some time and do this with my go-to recipe??  Because, I love that recipe and would never make it without toasted pecans.


Wait... M.... didn't you notice that Joy's recipe is just an adaptation of Deb's recipe?? The recipe you love and would never alter!!  Yes, I noticed this AFTER I ate so many cookies.  I think it is safe to say I have a cookie type.


And, that Joy and Deb are amazing!!!



I did make a few modifications.  I increased the amount of chocolate.  Took out the pistachios.  Used standard sea salt.  Less fancy with my baking instructions.


Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes 10 large cookies.
1/2 cup (1 stick)  unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups dark chocolate chunks
Sea Salt for Topping
1.  Preheat oven to 300 Degrees.  Spray or butter cookie sheets.
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars for 4-5 minutes.  Add egg and extract.  Beat for another 4 minutes.
3.  In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.  Add in half of flour mixture to butter mixture.  Incorporate with the mixer on low.  Add remaining flour.  Mix until incorporated.  Add chocolate and beat until just incorporated.
4.  Using a large ice cream scoop, space dough 2 inches apart.  Sprinkle sea salt on each cookie.
5.  Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes, or, until just golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or platter.

2 comments:

  1. These look so good! And honestly, I'm not a fan of nuts in my baked goods so I would actually prefer them this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I'm sad I didn't make it over to get mine (Erin fail)! I also would like to say you're welcome for causing you to crave cookies!

    ReplyDelete