inPDX {Twirling Around with Heidi Heaphy Photography}

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Growing up my mother always coordinated family photos at the end of every August. It was a huge production - coordinating outfits, emotional humans, American Girl dolls. And the hope that we would behave well enough to be rewarded with Pickle Barrel. Reflecting now, our behavior most likely did not warrant the best sandwich ever, but parenting us most certainly did!

Through this we learned the value of really great photographers, how to smile through pubescent angst (mostly), and that sandwiches are worth pushing down sibling rivaliries.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to twirl around The Pearl with Portland-based photographer Heidi Heaphy. Heidi and her husband are actually from my hometown in Montana, but we reconnected via social media when she spotted the fabulous tulle skirt my mom made for me.

Heidi Heaphy Photography

Going into the shoot I was a little nervous about how a really full skirt on my short frame and hourglass figure would photograph. And then it started to rain and I was worried about my hair getting frizzy and my face looking puffy .... and... and... and.  Also known as, "I hopped on the insecurity express." Well, within minutes of being with Heidi all of that fear and anxiety disappated. I wasn't worried about people staring at me or my body parts looking less than ideal. I stopped thinking about how I looked, and was in the moment of having fun and being creative. The photos showcase my zesty and bold salad personality. I credit all of this to Heidi and her professional yet personable demeanor.

Heidi has a natural gift and talent for bringing out the best in her subjects, while still letting them be themselves. Be sure to stop by her blog for more pictures from our shoot and to see her amazing portfolio of wedding, family, senior and newborn photography.

10 comments:

  1. I've been admiring these photos you've shared on your social media, and you really are stunning and graceful and so classic and classy in these photos. It was great to see you twirling as it helps show your spirit instead of the usual standing or sitting posed shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love that photo of you, you look so happy and radiant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This skirt is stunning. Your hair is shiny and you are glowing. Our clothes are a layer of our personality and I am always in belief of you wear something what feels comfortable for and let you walk with a big smile is the right match for you. And this skirt is made for you - a layer of your sweet personality and a talented friend behind the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I always have girls twirl when I take photos of them- it's always fun. I'll go check out the rest of your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Reflecting now, our behavior most likely did not warrant the best sandwich ever . . . " Great line.

    Great photo shoot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! Also, I want to see these American Girl doll pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great photos! I love that skirt, too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful on this photo, and it looks like on your about page you have photos from the same session? They all look so amazing!

    Dijana from The Funny Nanny. :)

    ReplyDelete