#ThursdayToursPDX {Baby Friendly Spots}

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fair warning, today's installment of #ThursdayToursPDX is by far the cutest yet! Though neither Erin or I are the keepers of small humans we know baby friendly spots are a must for a lot of you! I am so excited to have my dear friend Jane of In the Pink and Green sharing some of her favorite baby friendly spots.
A very fresh Henry!

I met Jane through blogging and she has become one of my closest friends in Portland. From slumber parties where we chat about nail polish and ice cream, to walking around talking about life events and my (always interesting) dating life, we never run out of things to say. She also always has the best recommendations for coffee, pastries and dessert. Just check out her Instagram if you don't believe me. And if you do believe me, still check it out! In December, Jane and her husband welcomed sweet baby Henry! Henry has quickly become one of my favorite humans. We always enjoy a good giggle, long chats (mostly me chatting) and dining out. Jane is such an encouraging person and a prime example of encouraging community and lifting one another up - I am thrilled she is sharing her recommendations today!


Head over to Bakery Bingo to find out where Lindsay of Rosemarried likes to take her darling daughter Margot!


Before having a baby, indulging in the amazing restaurant scene we have here in the Rose City was pretty much my favorite pastime. However, since my son, Henry, was born in December, I've been very pleased to discover that there are SO many baby-friendly places to eat (and drink!) here in Portland. The following places are a few of my favorites...


Hopworks Urban Brewery (2944 SE Powell Blvd, 503-232-4677)
Breweries are actually some of the most baby-friendly places to eat in Portland as they usually have a casual atmosphere and a moderate-level of noise that will make it less obvious if your kid has a meltdown. Hopworks, or HUB as it's more commonly known here in PDX, is definitely one of the most family-friendly options, so much so that they even have a kids' play area and sell adorably ironic beer-related onesies for babies! (A must for any Portland baby) They have lots of high chairs, outdoor seating, and plenty of parking - all things that come in handy with a little one in tow! Plus, their beers (many of which are organic!) are excellent and they have great food - I'd suggest ordering the poutine!

Isabel (330 NW 10th Ave, 503-222-4333)
This adorable Pearl District restaurant is a great choice for brunch with a baby and seems to be a very popular spot for families. (FYI: They also serve lunch and dinner but I've only ever been here for brunch) The restaurant does get fairly busy on weekends, but if you go early you should have no problem getting a spot...and let's face it, if you have a baby you're probably not sleeping in anyway! The cuisine at Isabel is Latin-inspired and many of the dishes are healthy yet filling, perfect for a nursing mama. I'd recommend ordering either the artichoke or the avocado scramble, but you also can't go wrong with their pancakes! The restaurant also happens to be right across the street from Hanna Anderson, which not only has adorable children's clothing, but also has a room specifically for nursing/diaper changes.

Pream (2131 SE 11th Ave, 503-231-9809)
At first glance, this might not seem like the most family-friendly place as evidenced by the hipster vibe and blaring hip hop music. However, they do have outdoor seating in the summer which ups the baby friendly factor in my book, especially if you go earlier in the evening. I'd suggest asking for one of the outdoor tables on SE Grant as there are only a few and there is plentiful space to park a stroller next the table. Their fennel sausage pizza is to die for and you can feel like a cool yet totally appropriate parent dining here.

New American (2103 N Killingsworth St, 971-229-0570)
Oh man, I love this place for so many reasons. The whole concept behind this restaurant is that parents want to go out to eat and be able to get quality food at a reasonable price, have a good glass of wine or a cocktail, and be in a place that's kid-friendly but doesn't resemble Chuck E. Cheese; New American totally hits the nail on the head with all these things! This casual restaurant features simple yet delicious (and nutritious!) things like meat and veggies (which are cooked on this special grill that makes them taste amazing) and your food comes out fast, which is ideal when you have small children. (You can also order ahead online for dine-in or carry-out which is another nice option!) They've got a great wine list and also serve batch cocktails which feature house-made vermouth, PLUS they have an amazing pastry chef and they also sell artisan chocolate bars made by one of the restaurant owners. Speaking of the owners, Faith and Aaron are such awesome, family-oriented people (literally Faith helped me change Henry's diaper during one of our visits here...) and so as a mom, it's the type of business I want to support. Did I mention they have outdoor seating? Put this one on your list! 

Tidbit Food Farm and Garden (SE 28th Place & Division St)
Food carts can be found all over Portland, but my favorite pod is definitely Tidbit because 1) it's close to my house and 2) it's incredibly baby/dog-friendly! There are so many great carts here, plus there is a cart that serves beer from a variety of local breweries. There is tons of seating (with plenty of shade!), restrooms, and a really nice ambiance that makes it the perfect place to meet up with friends and actually relax since you're not worrying about your baby being noisy because you're outside! My picks for the carts? I'd check out the Dog Town cart for their 'Return of the Mac' aka a macaroni and cheese covered hot dog (not healthy but amazing), then stop by the Doghouse PDX cart for their 'Truffle Treasure' tater tot bowl (and substitute sweet potato tots!) and finish off your meal by stopping by the new shaved ice cart that just opened (I can't remember the name but you can't miss it!) because it's super refreshing on a hot day!


Images 3-9 courtesy of Jane Graybeal


#ThursdayToursPDX is a collaborative series between Portland, OR bloggers {Erin} Bakery Bingo + {Meredith} Martha Chartreuse. In a city filled with amazing restaurants, artisan experiences, and fantastic tastemakers the inside scoop is a must. We will be asking our friends and fellow bloggers for their recommendations and tips for all the City of Roses has to offer.

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! I don't have kids, but am sharing with my friends who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks Jane!!!! Loving this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun places! We're out in the 'burbs, so we missed a lot of these when the kids were babies, but it is nice to know that there are so many baby-friendly places in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just commented over at BB too - I'm due in just 5 weeks and we are already planning our first "date nights" out with our little one, I will definitely need to add all these to the "to try" list! Maybe I'll get around to posting my own list someday down the line, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A) I am newly obsessed with Tidbit. I want to hang out there all the time. B) I know Chef Aaron and he is the nicest. I really need to try out New American! I've heard so many great things! C) Love all the outdoor seating recommendations too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HUB! So many new spots since my kiddos were babies :) Love this list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this theme, for obvious reasons: With Baby #2 on the way, family-friendly restaurants are even more key! I'd add Jam (oh my gosh the play area is money for toddlers!) though the weekend waits are insane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! We've only tried Hopworks so now we have a lot more to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can definitely see the Hopworks on Powell being bebeh friendly, but not the other (smaller) location further NE way. It's a little dicey.

    ReplyDelete