Pomegranate Couscous Salad- Four Years in the Making

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Well hello again!

Here I am.... over four years since my last post. My one and only post. There's no real reason I abandoned Martha Chartreuse. Perhaps it was a lack of organization. Maybe I didn't have the drive. Maybe my life just wasn't filled with "blog-able" content. 

But here I am in 2014 hoping to be a much better blogger. I have an editorial calendar, plenty of material and the real need for a creative outlet.  Because, let's admit it, after I had you all addicted in 2009 I need to earn back your readership and trust.  By telling you I have an outline and decent content you're sure to re-commit to me like that.  No flowers or candy required.

The plan is to fill this blog with recipes, crafting projects and some of my favorite things! I may even share a story or two along the way. 

This Pomegranate Couscous Salad is actually the catalyst that prompted me to bring Martha Chartreuse back from the dead.  I made this salad on New Years Day.  I had just finished cleaning up from the previous night's festivities.  I was in need of something filling, refreshing and healthy.  After a hearty holiday in Montana I truly needed a break from the oh-so-tasty beef.  I also had zero desire to visit the grocery store.  I improvised and pulled together the few ingredients in the pantry and fridge.

Voila!  A blog is reborn!

Cheers, 

 Mere

Pomegranate Couscous Salad with a Citrus Medley & Mint Vinaigrette

1 Shallot- Diced
3 Cloves of Garlic-Minced 
1 TBS Butter
EVOO {about 1 TBS}
1 package Israeli Couscous
1 3/4 Cup low-sodium non-fat chicken stock 
1 cup toasted and chopped almonds
1 package pomegranate seeds (about 1.5 cups)
1 can garbanzo beans- rinsed

 Dressing: 
 Juice from 1/2 large pink grapefruit
 Juice from 1.5 lemons
 Juice from 1 lime 
 Zest from 1 lemon 
 10-12 mint leaves chiffonade 
 EVOO- 1-2 tbs 
 Salt & Pepper 

 1. In a large pan over medium heat melt butter and olive oil. Add shallot and garlic. Cook until translucent. 
 2. Add Israeli Couscous and toast as instructed. 
 3. Add broth and cover until all liquid is absorbed and couscous is al dente. Remove from heat. 
 4. Whisk together all citrus juice, zest, mint and evoo. Salt and pepper to taste. 
 5. Add almonds, seeds and garbanzo beans to couscous and mix together. Stir in dressing. The couscous  should still be warm so it can soak up all of the flavors. 
 6. Enjoy warm or cold. Season to taste in accordance with the temperature you will be eating it at.

No comments:

Post a Comment