#ThursdayToursPDX {Breweries}

Thursday, October 15, 2015

We are already half-way through October and fall seems to have arrived. The nights are cooler, the leaves are turning and the sweaters are out. For me that also means it is time to retire the fruity cocktails, cut back on the white wine, and start drinking beer. Football! Pumpkin carvings! Rainy Saturdays!! All valid reasons to stop by a brewery.




Today we have blogging besties Bee and Rebekah sharing their favorite brewery recommendations. These girls are so much fun and are always taking on projects and adventures together. From painting their houses to picking fruits, these ladies are always having a blast together.

The lovely Rebekah is a full-time creative mastermind AND she blogs over at PDXFoodLove! From beautiful recipes to thirst-quenching cocktails her blog and Instagram feed will always leave you wanting more. And be sure to head over to Bakery Bingo for The Spicy Bee's recommendations!


Hello! My name is Rebekah Hubbard and I blog over at PDXfoodlove.com. I blog about food, but also quite a bit about cocktails and drinks. Come check it out!


My friend Bee Talmadge of The Spicy Bee and I are bringing you our favorite spots for the Thursday Tours series by Meredith and Erin. They asked us to talk about beer! Fortunately, we are quite prepared.


Bee and I work downtown (or close), and one of our favorite things to do is to call up our husbands after work and all meet for a bike and beer crawl (drinking only a responsible amount of beer, of course) on a Friday night. Since we live in North Portland and Bee and Kevin live in Southeast, that means that one of us is probably going to have a longer ride home than the other, depending on where the evening takes us. And that's OK! We alternate whether we go north or south, so we share the long rides.


But since we have that natural division, we decided to take it to our Thursday Tour! Head over to Bakery Bingo to hear Bee's recommendations south of Burnside, and read on to find my favorites to the north:


Photo c/o Bee Talmadge

EX NOVO


Ok, so I'll start with my favorite. Ex Novo opens at 3 (I mean, my friend told me it opens at 3 ;) ) and has wonderful beers, great outdoor seating and good food. I like their popcorn with beer during happy hour, but I've also enjoyed their burgers and mac and cheese in the evenings. For beer, my top pick is the Flint Street Pale Ale. And as a bonus, Ex Novo is a nonprofit! They give 100% of their profits enacting positive social change in Portland.




Ok, maybe this one is also my favorite. Migration has such a wonderful vibe. I love to sit outside, and they seem to be home to lots of fun events like the Franz Grilled Cheese Day cookoff (which I participated in!). I'm a fan of the Blood, Sweat and Red Ale and the meatball sub.


Photo c/o Bee Talmadge




Bee and Kevin get the credit for introducing me to Upright, kind of a funny name since it's in the basement of the building it's in. This place is cash-only, beer-only (no food) and no frills. You're going to sit right next to the beer tanks. But this place is great for true beer geeks - the beautiful Belgian beers coming out of this place! It's tempting to spend all day here, but you probably should eat at some point.




Widmer is on my commute up and down Interstate, and every single day I enjoy inhaling the fragrant, malty air as I bike past. There's no better smell than beer cooking. It's true, Widmer is probably the biggest brewery in Portland and you can buy their beer everywhere. But did you know that their restaurant serves German food? It's not your standard pub fare! We've really enjoyed bringing our families to Widmer for a fun meal. I recommend it: there's something for everyone on the menu, and it's nice to have a break from the standard "burger, veggie burger, vegetarian bowl, fish & chips" pub menu. Plus, they have some smaller batch beers available at the pub.


Photo c/o Bee Talmadge



Ok, so you can't buy a pint here, but my local homebrew shop deserves a shoutout! My husband has been brewing beer for a few years now, and it is so nice to just come home and pour myself a homemade pint out of our keg. If you're thinking about starting brewing at home, check out the Homebrew Exchange on N. Interstate. They also have plenty of classes - and not for just beer. Wine, cheese, kombucha and more - you can learn how to make these things and buy all the supplies you need. We love this place.

#ThursdayToursPDX is a collaborative series between Portland, OR bloggers {Erin} Bakery Bingo + {Meredith} Martha Chartreuse. In a city filled with amazing restaurants, artisan experiences, and fantastic tastemakers the inside scoop is a must. We will be asking our friends and fellow bloggers for their recommendations and tips for all the City of Roses has to offer

No comments:

Post a Comment