inPDX: Pinxto Hour at Urdaneta

Tuesday, April 11, 2017


Portland's 2017 rainy season has been relentless. It has set records -- for consecutive days of rain, accumulation, and Netflix binges (I'm sure!!). It has been daunting, and a glimmer of sunshine seems to transform the entire city. The sidewalks are bustling, people are laughing, and restaurants are packed. With the sunshine comes a thirst for cocktails, socialization, and tasty bites. 

How should you quench this?

At Urdaneta for Pinxto Hour (or any hour) of course!!

Based on my Google Doc, stomach, and residual cravings, this is the best new PDX restaurant I've been to in at least 6 months. 

The NE Spanish Tapas spot will transport you to a dreamy date in Barcelona, no matter how rainy it is in Portland.

It is a star and I am anxious for my next meal there.


 The Stars

If you've seen any of my online dating profiles, or have spent more than 33 minutes with me, then there are two things you know: I consider myself an extremely talented orderer, and Jeffrey Garten is my dream man.

And if Jeffrey and I were heading to Urdanetta for a date I would insist we order the Gilda, Crispy Chickpeas, and Huevo Diablo.

When presented with the Gilda dish I was hesitant to dive in. Usually boquerones are too fishy for my liking, but these were very bright and had a perfect texture. The briny olive balanced everything out and they were refreshing.

They aren't on the menu, but I'm going to recommend asking for one crispy chickpea per person. I think they were fried or finished in some kind of jamon fat, and I loved it. 

The real star, and must have, was the Huevo Diablo. Served on a crusty piece of bread, smeared with romesco, the deviled egg has a tuna filling. The mustard caviar on top adds a nice texture and compliments the romesco beautifully.



Comfort Food with a Twist

Several dishes really felt like comfort foods, and reminded me of American classics. The Morcilla, Alcochofa, and Tixtorro Burger are all great picks for the less-adventurous or parents.

Morcilla is a blood sausage with buttery peppers. Sausage, onion, peppers = game day food.

Similar to an artichoke dip on crostini, the Alcochofa was brought up a few notches with pickled radishes.

Is anything more consumer-friendly than a slider? Except the Tixtorro has a super cool name and is made with chorizo. Everybody knows chorizo is the coolest ground meat on the block. And it is topped with a quail egg. Again, the coolest egg in all the land. 



Let's order one more thing!

Enough said.


Hamachi over compressed pineapple. So the springiest, freshest, happiest, healthiest dish around. It isn't on the menu yet, but will be soon. Make sure to follow UrdanettaPDX on instagram for the latest additions to the menu.

Get the Goxua!!! The base is a layer of rum-soaked madeleines, topped with whipped cream, then creme brulee, and topped with blood oranges. It is the perfect blend of textures and decadence. 

Urdaneta 
3303 NE Alberta
Tuesday-Thursday + Sunday
5-10pm
Friday + Saturday
5-11pm

Pinxto Hour
Tuesday-Friday
5-6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment